Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I have to tell you though that using the IQFeed API is about the easiest and cleanest I have seen for some time." - Comment from Jim
"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
"I would just like to say that IQFeed version 4 is running very well and I am very happy with its performance. I would also like to extend a big thanks for the fast and efficient help that I always receive. My questions and concerns are always addressed promptly. Way to go!" - Comment from Josh in CO.
"My broker in Davenport suggested I give you a try as he uses your service and says its the best." - Comment from Bill via RT Chat
"I just wanted to say how happy I am with your service. I was able to download the API docs last week and I was able to replicate Interactive Brokers historical bar queries and realtime bar queries over the weekend. That was about one of the fastest integrations that I've ever done and it works perfectly!!!!" - Comment from Jason via Email
"And by the way, have to say this. I love the IQFeed software. It's rock solid and it has a really nice API." - Comment from Thomas via RT Chat
"Thank you so much - awesome feed, awesome service!" - Comment from Greg via Email
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"If you want customer service that answers the phone, your best bet is IQFeed. I cannot stop praising them or their technical support. They are always there for you, and they are quick. I have used ****** too but the best value is IQFeed." - Comment from Public Forum
"Boy, probably spent a thousand hours trying to get ******* API to work right. And now two hours to have something running with IQFeed. Hmmm, guess I was pretty stupid to fight rather than switch all this time. And have gotten more customer service from you guys already than total from them… in five years." - Comment from Jim
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Getting The News
Author Topic: Getting The News (2 messages, Page 1 of 1)

etron
-Interested User-

In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Posted: Aug 31, 2016 08:33 PM          Msg. 1 of 2
Need help and/or support getting News Headline data returned from the Lookup port please.

I am able to successfully get the News Config data from: NCG,[XML/Text],[RequestID]
Which returns data like this:
[...]
'MINOR', 'DT7', 'Quote List Changes', '1D', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTI', 'Calendars and Reports', '2Ab', '10'
'MAJOR', 'CPR', 'PR Newswire', '1X', '5'
'MAJOR', 'CBW', 'Business Wire', '1X', '2'
'MAJOR', 'RTT', 'Real-Time Trader', '2Ab', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTB', 'Breaking News Headlines', '2Ab', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTC', 'Big Stories', '2Ab', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTD', 'Analyst Updates', '2Ab', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTE', 'Analyst Comments', '2Ab', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTF', 'Stocks on the Move', '2Ab', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTG', 'Corporate Actions', '2Ab', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTH', 'Market Overview', '2Ab', '10'
'MINOR', 'RTK', 'Economic News', '2Ab', '10'
[...]

Ok that's a great start, but can't seem to get any further -- when ever I try to send an NHL request to get headlines it just doesn't seem to work.

I followed the API guidelines here:
http://www.iqfeed.net/dev/api/docs/NewsLookupviaTCPIP.cfm

Following the guidelines:
NHL,[Sources],[Symbols],[XML/Text],[Limit],[Date],[RequestID]
Here's an couple examples I tried:

NHL,,,,,,
NHL,,TSLA,x,,,
NHL,AP:DTN:MW,TSLA,x,,,

I've tried passing in News Sources (or not), TICKER symbols (or not), passing in 't' for text or 'x' for XML... and also tried not passing in anything hoping it would return all the news, but, to my dismay, no matter what I try, it seems I get the same result... an empty array ['] or an empty XML shell:

<?xml version='1.0'?> <news_headlines> </news_headlines>

Getting News Headlines to come back from the servers seems to be an elusive mystery.

I'm sure I must be missing a step or doing something wrong? Please help! Thanks in advance.

-e

Edited by etron on Aug 31, 2016 at 08:44 PM

etron
-Interested User-

In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Posted: Sep 1, 2016 05:28 PM          Msg. 2 of 2
Hey guys, Thanks for your help and prompt response via the developer support channel. For posterity here is what support told me:

Quote: Your first two request both worked right off in my terminal. Your third request, I had to alter slightly, as none of the sources listed had any news currently, so it returned an empty data set. MWH did have data.
NHL,AP:DTN:MWH,TSLA,x,,,

After seeing this reply that it works on that end, and inspecting my code closer, to my embarrassment, there was an extra ascii character getting inserted into every request after the comma which was causing requests to get sent wrong. Somehow I completely missed this as I was printing the command for debugging before this character was getting inserted!

Thanks for your quick response and help via developer support.

-e

Edited by etron on Sep 1, 2016 at 05:29 PM

Time: Thu May 9, 2024 2:49 AM CFBB v1.2.0 15 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003