Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"My broker in Davenport suggested I give you a try as he uses your service and says its the best." - Comment from Bill via RT Chat
"Very impressed with the quality of your feed - ******* is a real donkey in comparison." - Comment from A.C. via Email
"With HUGE volume on AAPL and RIMM for 2 days, everyone in a trading room was whining about freezes, crashes and lag with *******, RealTick, TS and Cyber. InvestorRT with IQFeed was rock solid. I mean SOLID!" - Comment from Public IRC Chat
"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
"After all the anxiety I had with my previous data provider it is a relief not to have to worry about data speed and integrity." - Comment from Eamonn
"Previously I was using *******. IQFeed is WAY more economical, and for my charting needs is just as good, if not better." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"Everything is working great ! Very impressive client. The news refreshes better and is more pertinent than the ******* feed I paid $ 100/month for. I Also like the charts a lot." - Comment from Leon
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
"I have been using IQFeed now for a few years in MultiCharts and I have zero complaints. Very, very rare to have any data hiccups or anything at all go wrong." - Comment from Public Forum
"Interactive Brokers tick data was inconsistent, so I have switched to using DTN exclusively. It is great to no longer have to worry about my datafeed all day long." - Comment from Philippe
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »registry entries under windows 7
Author Topic: registry entries under windows 7 (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)

bob7123
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 12, 2012 05:43 AM          Msg. 1 of 12
Hello,

I am looking at the "Launching the feed" demo application.

I am running on Windows 7 x64, and I definitely installed the IQFeed client (not just the developer API)

This line in the Launching the Feed app is causing a problem:

Line #85: RegistryKey key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey("SOFTWARE\\DTN\\IQFeed");

The problem is that on my machine there is no DTN key under LocalMachine, only a DTN key under the current user. (and that does not have the subkey subsequently looked for called EXEDIR)

The code as written then fails, saying IQConnect is not installed.

If the key under Local Machine does not exist, is there another place to look for it, or does it's absence just mean that the IQConnect it in its default location?

I noticed that the sample app was written for Visual Studio 2005, and I'm guessing that it does not take into account more restrictive Windows 7 registry policies.

At any rate, now that it is 2012, what would be the best practice to ensure proper testing that IQConnect is installed in an environment such as mine?

Thanks very much,
-Bob

bob7123
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 14, 2012 03:26 AM          Msg. 2 of 12
Hello?

OK, let me ask a more direct question then:

I do not see the following registry key on my machine after installing the latest IQFeed client:

HKLM\Software\DTN\IQFeed

This is expected by your sample applications.

Is it depreciated?

Thank you,
-Bob

DTN Brian Wood
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 14, 2012 10:14 AM          Msg. 3 of 12
Hello Bob,

It should exist. I'm guessing it is something in the security settings of your windows login in that you don't have enough privileges to create the entries. Or it could be that some anti-virus software blocking its creation. Those entries should have been created during the installation process of the IQFeed client or developer versions of IQFeed software.

The IQFeed client or developer software needs to be installed on the PC that you are using to write/build/run the example applications. Do you have it installed, on the same PC you are trying to run the examples from?

Is this a new install of IQFeed, or where you doing an update?

If an update, has anything changed on your system?

Can you manually create an entry in your registry? If not that would indicate something is wrong.

When you installed IQFeed, did you get any errors during the install or that appeared in the install log?

Brian

Visit our new online forums! DTN employees actively monitor the forums to provide you the highest level of support in the industry. Our forums also has an announcements area where you can learn about new features or changes within DTN. You can even use the forums to exchange trading ideas or tips and tricks on how you use your DTN data to be more profitable.

Go to http://forums.dtniq.com now to start sharing information with fellow DTN subscribers!

bob7123
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 14, 2012 12:08 PM          Msg. 4 of 12
Hello Brian,

I just did an install on a Windows 7 VM that only had the latest Windows Update patches applied. (fresh install)

The IQFeed client downloaded and installed without any errors or warnings, but again, the HKLM keys were not there.

Where is the install log? Is it saved to the hard drive someplace? If so I can send a copy.

I'm starting to think this is just how the installer behaves on Win 7.

I just modified the sample app to start looking for the exe file using File.Exists() if it doesn't find the keys. Seems to work OK, but the whole reason for posting was to ensure I was looking for it the way you guys want it looked for.

-Bob

DTN Brian Wood
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 14, 2012 02:12 PM          Msg. 5 of 12
Are you logging in with an administor level account in the VM?

I run the Windows 7 XP VM all the time in Windows 7 just fine on my development machine. I think we have over 2600 IQFeed users running with Windows 7, so it probably something specific to the VM or the way your login is setup for the VM.

The log is displayed during the install process, it's the status window showing you what is happening. Most folks tend to click past at the end instead of looking at it for errors during the install process.

Visit our new online forums! DTN employees actively monitor the forums to provide you the highest level of support in the industry. Our forums also has an announcements area where you can learn about new features or changes within DTN. You can even use the forums to exchange trading ideas or tips and tricks on how you use your DTN data to be more profitable.

Go to http://forums.dtniq.com now to start sharing information with fellow DTN subscribers!

bob7123
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 15, 2012 05:27 AM          Msg. 6 of 12
I am using a fresh install of Windows 7.

I am logging in as the default user "User".

I did a reinstall and captured the log. (attached) No problems were reported.

The registry entry under HTLM still does not exist.

I reviewed the "Installation and Distribution" section of the Developer API documentation, which states in part, " DTN no longer supports developers installing IQFeed components on their own. You must use the IQFeed [client] install package. "

I am reporting a problem with your client installation package. (using default settings on a fresh OS)

Your documentation clearly states that your installation package is the only one that is allowed, so it is my contention that your company should resolve any problems with it. (or update the client application to work properly with your installer)

I apologize if this message comes across as officious, I am only trying to work within the guidelines set out by your organization.

Thanks,
-Bob

File Attached: IQFeed Install Log.txt (downloaded 1874 times)

DTN Brian Wood
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 02:09 PM          Msg. 7 of 12
Bob,

Thank you, for identifying the problem. It looks like there may be a problem with our installer script with this type of account.

Thanks,
Brian

bob7123
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 04:50 PM          Msg. 8 of 12
Yeah I can log in as admin, but for John Q User out there, he may not have that option, so I guess something needs to be updated.

I just added some if File.Exists()... code to look for the EXE, but you guys may want to figure out a better solution. Maybe require the install script to run as admin or something like that, but I'm not an install package expert.

Good luck,
-Bob

FistPeso
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 20, 2012 12:53 AM          Msg. 9 of 12
This may be a 64 bit issue. The application you are having an issue is possibly a 32-bit app, so on your 64-bit Windows environment you will need to reference the "WOW Node". On my machine it is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DTN...

bob7123
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 20, 2012 03:00 AM          Msg. 10 of 12
Hey there it is!

I suppose the right way to code then would be to look here first:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DTN\IQFeed

Then the regular place.

I'll update my code, and you may want to add that to the sample code.

For anyone reading this down the line, you can make your app 32 bit, but if the underlying OS is 64 bit, then the key will be in the alternate location. (Under Wow6432Node)

Glad that is sorted. I guess with all those multi-monitor jocks out there (guilty as charged) having 64 bit trading desks are only going to become more popular...

Take care,
-Bob

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Sep 24, 2012 02:31 PM          Msg. 11 of 12
Just as a followup to this.

As already discovered in this thread, the issue at hand is that under 64bit OS, the HKLM registry hive gets virtualized (for lack of a better word) when you try to write to it from a 32bit app. Since IQFeed and its installers are 32bit, the registry key gets written into the Wow6432Node instead of the root of the Software tree.

This was reported a while back (unfortunately Brian wasn't aware of this) and The C# example apps have already been updated to reflect this in our latest internal build. I'll make sure the rest of the examples and the documentation also gets updated for the next release of the dev SDK.

Also uncovered in this thread was a bug in our installer causing the start menu entries to not get written out into a visible location when IQFeed is installed while logged into a normal (non-admin) user account. The IQFeed install requires Admin access to register dlls/ocxs and prompts for admin access appropriately but that also results in the Start menu entries getting written out for the Admin account as well. This bug has been added to the list for future development.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything else you are running into with this.

bob7123
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 8, 2012 07:46 AM          Msg. 12 of 12
Interesting, I'm glad you guys had a look.

I'm OK for now, but if you release a new version of the code please let me know (or just post here, I'll get an update, and everyone else will know problems are fixed.)

Thanks!
-Bob

Time: Mon April 29, 2024 1:36 PM CFBB v1.2.0 9 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003