Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"Thanks for following up with me. You guys do a great job in tech support." - Comment from Phelps
"I am very happy I changed. I love the product, but more so I am thrilled with Tech Support. You are knowledgeable, polite, pleasant and professional." - Comment from Pat
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"I've been using Neoticker RT with IQFeed for two months, and I'm very happy with both of the products (I've had IQFeed for two years with very few complaints). The service from both companies is exceptional." - Comment from Public Forum
"My broker in Davenport suggested I give you a try as he uses your service and says its the best." - Comment from Bill via RT Chat
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Datafeed Wish List »Symbol Lookup
Author Topic: Symbol Lookup (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)

rehughes
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 01:49 PM          Msg. 1 of 6
It would be great to see DTN improve the search engine on their Symbol Lookup . Finding anything with this tool is nearly impossible. For example, try searching for 'U.S. Dollar Index'. Many times, I simply have to call customer support and ask them for the symbol because I can't find it with this.

On a related note, it would be absolutely wonderful to see DTN use the same symbols assigned by the exchanges. i.e TY for the 10 Yr T-Note pit traded contracts and ZN for the electronic contracts. They differ in volume and can sometimes paint different pictures.

Administrator
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 02:14 PM          Msg. 2 of 6
Are you are referring to the website search engine, or the lookup integrated within DTNiQ? For the website, I did a search for 'US Dollar Index' (removing the periods) and it returned DXY$Y - US Dollar Index Cash - NYBOT. Was this the symbol you were after?

I understand the search engine is not perfect, but there are a few things you can try if you cannot find the symbol you are after:

1. Try broadening your search. For example, instead of searching for 'U.S. Dollar Index', search for 'Dollar' or 'Dollar Index'.

2. Work from being more specific to less, since you could return thousands of records with a very broad search statement. For example, "Micro" will return Microsoft, as well as the "BRAZOS JMIC MICRO CAP GROWTH PORTFOLIO" mutual fund (along with 63 other matches).

3. Try removing any punctuation (periods, commas, etc.).

4. Try downloading the entire symbol list by using the link DOWNLOAD link above the Symbol Lookup form. This will enable you to import the list into Excel or your own database if you are more comfortable using those search tools. It is updated nightly.

Please let me know any other questions or frustrations you have with the serach tool on the website. Any improvement we can make for you will likely please many others as well.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 02:19 PM          Msg. 3 of 6
I would like to add that a lot of times it is easier to find symbols using the symbol guide instead of the search. Most people know where the issue trades. For commodities, it is often easier to go to the guide, choose the exchange, then look for the contract your are interested in. Since we only list the root commodity, there aren't too many items to browse through.

We are definately open to suggestions on how to improve the search. Unfortunately, often times it is a case of "what do I search for if I don't know the format of DTN's description" (ie. how do you know to search US vs U.S vs U S ?). The only option in this case is trial and error. Again, if you have some suggestions on how we can improve it, we will definately look into it.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

rehughes
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 02:31 PM          Msg. 4 of 6
Have you consider powering the web-based symbol lookup tool with Google's search engine?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 02:32 PM          Msg. 5 of 6
Quote: It would be great to see DTN improve the search engine on their Symbol Lookup . Finding anything with this tool is nearly impossible. For example, try searching for 'U.S. Dollar Index'. Many times, I simply have to call customer support and ask them for the symbol because I can't find it with this.

On a related note, it would be absolutely wonderful to see DTN use the same symbols assigned by the exchanges. i.e TY for the 10 Yr T-Note pit traded contracts and ZN for the electronic contracts. They differ in volume and can sometimes paint different pictures.
--- Original message by rehughes on Nov 5, 2004 01:49 PM
Regarding the Tnotes:

We have chosen not to use exchange symbology in some cases due to the fact that exchanges don't guarantee unique symbology. Some services get around this by forcing the user to enter exchange identifiers along with the symbol, but we prefer to keep the symbols shorter. We do have separate symbology for Pit vs. electronic contracts however. For Tnotes for example, the pit is TY and the electronic is @TY. We have standardized on using an "@" in front of the symbols for electronic contracts. Another example is the highly traded Emini SP which is @ES.

Hope this helps!

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 02:33 PM          Msg. 6 of 6
Quote: Have you consider powering the web-based symbol lookup tool with Google's search engine?
--- Original message by rehughes on Nov 5, 2004 02:31 PM
Its not something that we have looked at, but it is something we will consider looking into.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

Time: Fri April 19, 2024 8:06 AM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003