Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"I ran your IQFeed DDE vs. my broker vs. a level II window for some slow-moving options. I would see the level II quote change, then your feed update instantaneously. My broker's DDE, however, would take as much as 30 seconds to update. I am not chasing milliseconds, but half a minute is unacceptable." - Comment from Rob
"Thanks for following up with me. You guys do a great job in tech support." - Comment from Phelps
"I was on the phone with a friend who uses CQG and right after the Fed announcement, CQG was as much as 30 seconds behind DTN.IQ. Some quotes were off by as much as 15-18 cents. Your feed never missed a beat." - Comment from Roger
"Everything is working amazing now. I'm already impressed with the true-tick feed of IQFeed and it's ability to support my 480 symbol layout." - Comment from Tyler via Email
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I was with ******* for 4 years at $230 a month, this is a huge savings for me, GOD BLESS YOU PEOPLE," - Comment from T.S. via Email
"I just wanted to tell you what a fine job you have been doing. While *******, from what I hear, has been down and out, off and on, IQ feed has held like a champ this week." - Comment from Shirin
"I've been using Neoticker RT with IQFeed for two months, and I'm very happy with both of the products (I've had IQFeed for two years with very few complaints). The service from both companies is exceptional." - Comment from Public Forum
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Windows Server 2003
Author Topic: Windows Server 2003 (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)

kleelof
-Interested User-

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 03:39 AM          Msg. 1 of 7
Hello,

Anyone here have experience building an app that works on Windows Server 2003?

I've built this app that runs beautifully on my development machine, but falls apart once it is on WS2003.

The system is on a 'Cloud' server, with 1GB ram, 2.xxmhz single core processor. I know there is a hardware difference. My development machine runs XP with 2GB ram, 2.xx mhz dual core processor.

take care,
lee

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 02:19 PM          Msg. 2 of 7
Hello Lee, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but we do have several other developers running IQFeed on Windows server 2k3. What sort of problems are you running into?

kleelof
-Interested User-

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 06:10 PM          Msg. 3 of 7
Hello,

Here is a detailed explanation of what I have done:

I originally wrote the app using the com component. When I ran it on my development system, everything looked good. CPU usage was OK. Memory usage was OK. But as soon as I put it the 2k3 server, the stats went to crap during market time. The CPU usage and memory got so bad, the app crashed. Nothing like this happened when I ran it on my development machine.

Yesterday, I read on the forums that the COM component can become overworked and slow down an application, so I switched to TCP/IP. On the development server, it ran much better. It was using about 1/2 the CPU and 70% or less of the memory the previous set-up. However, when I put it on the 2k3 server, the memory immediately shot-up to 600,000k. Something it did not do on my XP machine. I was running it during market time on both machines. Now that the market is closed, it is running OK on the 2k3 server. So, obviously the problem lies somewhere in its processing of the feeds. But I'm really stumped why it works OK on my development system, but not on the 2k3 server.

So I suppose my question is if anyone knows of any significant differences between the 2 operating systems that I should be taking into account. Could it just be a hardware problem? The following are the stats on the machines:

Development:
XP Pro
2g memory
Intel Pen. Dual 2.20g

2k3:
1g memory
INtel Xeon Single 2.27g

Also, as a side note; I've noticed from reading the forums that people have often had problems that were related to handling the traffic volume from IQFeed. Could you post some tips and tricks on how to handle this? I think the system I have is pretty clean, but who knows. At the very least, it may save other new developers the set-backs associated with weak handling of this traffic.

take care,
lee

David
-DTN Evangelist-

I'd rather be...

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 10:17 PM          Msg. 4 of 7
FWIW:

I use a 'dataavailable' event for tcp/ip. It is very important that you minimize the time servicing the data, and depending on how your tcp connection is done you do not want to call 'process messages' or equivalent in the event process. Also if you use strings, that can take a lot of CPU time - I use a fixed array of char that is only created once for each socket so there is no mem alloc or destruction going on. I only get the length of the data and then process the array. Made a big difference, very big.

David

IQXP Software
http://www.iqxp.com

LiveWire Update Service
PO Box 1417
Fairfield, IA 52556
641-472-8393
http://www.livewire-cablesoft.com/

kleelof
-Interested User-

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 10:26 PM          Msg. 5 of 7
Hello,

Thanks.

The dataAvail event I understand. But the second part I don't.

Sorry. This is my first socket system on .NET, so I am not so quick with it. Would it be possible for you to post a code snippet showing this process?

take care,
lee

kleelof
-Interested User-

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 10:27 PM          Msg. 6 of 7

Even just some psuedo code would be fine...

David
-DTN Evangelist-

I'd rather be...

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 10:59 PM          Msg. 7 of 7
Look at the code that implements the data transfer from the socket - I don't use or work in net - so see what forms of transfer are available, normally one provides a string or a data array to get/read the data once the DataAvail event happens. The idea here is not to do any creation of objects or anything getting the data. Just do it once at initialization - then no additional overhead then. String manipulation can be very slow in particular.

Also look at the code that handles the event - make sure you are not taking too much time there, especially on display or other I/O - I suspect that net is slow by nature.

GL!

David

IQXP Software
http://www.iqxp.com

LiveWire Update Service
PO Box 1417
Fairfield, IA 52556
641-472-8393
http://www.livewire-cablesoft.com/

Time: Fri April 19, 2024 3:29 AM CFBB v1.2.0 16 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003