Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"IQ feed works very well, does not have all of the normal interruptions I have grown used to on *******" - Comment from Mark
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"Thanks for the great product and support. During this week of high volume trading, my QuoteTracker + IQ Feed setup never missed a beat. Also, thanks for your swiftness in responding to data issues. I was on ******* for a few years before I made the switch over early this year, and wish I had done it a long time ago." - Comment from Ken
"Everything is working amazing now. I'm already impressed with the true-tick feed of IQFeed and it's ability to support my 480 symbol layout." - Comment from Tyler via Email
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"Everything is working great ! Very impressive client. The news refreshes better and is more pertinent than the ******* feed I paid $ 100/month for. I Also like the charts a lot." - Comment from Leon
"For anyone considering using DTN.IQ for a data feed, my experience with the quality of data and the tech support has been very positive." - Comment from Public Forum
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"As a past ******* customer(and not a happy one), IQ Feed by DTN is a much better and cheaper product with great customer support. I have had no problems at all since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Linux support
Author Topic: Linux support (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)

zeta34
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 12:16 PM          Msg. 1 of 11
Now that the IQ32.dll is no longer required, how long before Linux is supported?

taa_dtn
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Feb 10, 2010 05:11 PM          Msg. 2 of 11
This doesn't answer your question exactly, but it might be useful information.

I've experimented with running recent versions of IQFeed on Fedora 11 using Wine 1.1.32. It generates a few error messages (mismatched CoUninitialize, if I remember rightly) but appears to function correctly and efficiently.

Since Wine isn't an emulator or a virtual machine environment, I would guess that using it to run IQConnect doesn't violate the ban on redistributing data; the data is received and used on a single real machine. However, I doubt the DTN folks have done any of the testing that would be required to make it an officially-supported platform. We'd have to ask them directly to clear up those issues.

And yes, I'd also like to see an official IQFeed client for Linux.

Allen

redblue
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 11, 2010 01:38 AM          Msg. 3 of 11
For what it's worth I also have ran IQFeed under wine (1.0.1) on Ubuntu. This is mainly for testing/profiling but it does seem to work rather well.

Regards,

Jeremy.

zeta34
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 11:45 PM          Msg. 4 of 11
Can an IQFeed rep please comment on this?

rnicoll
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 2, 2010 06:27 PM          Msg. 5 of 11
I've got IQFeed working with my own projects under Ubuntu (Karmic Koala), but having problems with OS X (lack of any official Wine client probably not a good start)..

DTN, I can understand you don't want a dozen extra test platforms, but surely you can move across to compiling to CIL and throw Ubuntu latest and a Mac into your test environment?

busitech
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 10:26 PM          Msg. 6 of 11
We want to use this feed on Mac OS X. Are there any alternatives to IQFeed which already support Mac and/or Linux?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 04:22 PM          Msg. 7 of 11
IQFeed won't work on Mac OS as an API for your own development. The only option for IQFeed on Mac OS is with InvestorRT software. InvestorRT has a Mac OS version of their software which talks directly to our servers and thus bypasses the IQFeed windows client. Otherwise, IQFeed will run on Linux via WINE (as you discovered on another thread).

Jay Froscheiser
DTN

busitech
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 04:35 PM          Msg. 8 of 11
Which DTN feed did InvestorRT use for development, to connect directly to DTN servers? We have our parser written to the D8080 on the Satellite feed currently, and wish to add Options. Options were removed from satellite, so we're forced to switch.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 05:11 PM          Msg. 9 of 11
They connect to IQFeed's servers. They have been doing this for nearly 15 years and the only option we have for developers now is utilizing the IQFeed client or NxCore for data feeds (both windows clients). We are working on a Java version of IQFeed that will be cross platform, but it is still early in development.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN

busitech
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 05:38 PM          Msg. 10 of 11
WINE has been ported to Mac OS X, so I'm going to give it a test drive.

redblue
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 19, 2010 06:11 AM          Msg. 11 of 11
Hi Jay,

Just a follow up on your comments regarding a cross platform version of IQFeed in Java.

I am assuming that IQfeed is currently written in C/C++. If so, it should be easy enough to convert to run on any platform - minus the GUI interface? I'm sure most people on Linux could cope with no GUI. If a GUI is needed, then there are plenty of cross platform GUI toolkits that could be used.

I'm not anti java, but it does add another large dependency to deploy an IQFeed based app. Then there are the "performance and memory issues" that will crop up when using the standard Java runtime. In short, the Java version is likely to be slower and use more memory.

Wouldn't the best approach be to allow application developers to connect directly to your servers using a well specified API? Would certainly reduced latency and have a few other positive benefits as well.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Time: Fri May 3, 2024 10:46 AM CFBB v1.2.0 12 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003