Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"This is an excellent value, the system is generous (allowing for 500 stocks) and stable (and really is tick-by-tick), and the support is fantastic." - Comment from Shirin via Email
"I just wanted to say how happy I am with your service. I was able to download the API docs last week and I was able to replicate Interactive Brokers historical bar queries and realtime bar queries over the weekend. That was about one of the fastest integrations that I've ever done and it works perfectly!!!!" - Comment from Jason via Email
"With HUGE volume on AAPL and RIMM for 2 days, everyone in a trading room was whining about freezes, crashes and lag with *******, RealTick, TS and Cyber. InvestorRT with IQFeed was rock solid. I mean SOLID!" - Comment from Public IRC Chat
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
"IQFeed version 4 is a real screamer compared to anything else I have seen." - Comment from Tom
"If you want customer service that answers the phone, your best bet is IQFeed. I cannot stop praising them or their technical support. They are always there for you, and they are quick. I have used ****** too but the best value is IQFeed." - Comment from Public Forum
"Excellent datafeed !!!" - Comment from Arely
"Everything is working great with the API. I love it." - Comment from Calvin
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Charting Price
Author Topic: Charting Price (2 messages, Page 1 of 1)

shortorlong
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 01:44 AM          Msg. 1 of 2
Hi all,

I want to chart a standard price chart, similar to what we see at finance.google.com or biz.yahoo.com etc.

I am wondering the following:

1) Is it recommended to get minute-frequency OHLC data for each data point or is it better to get every tick and find unique ticks per second and use each second as data points?

2) When looking at either of these datasets, I sometimes see large spikes, what techniques do you guys have to drop these spikes (or are they natural, valid data?)

3) Sometimes when getting the minute-based OHLC data I see price flat for 10 or 15 minutes at a time, for graphs like YHOO and ETFC - during regular-trading hours. What might cause this to occur?

4) Does anyone have algorithms, psuedo-code, or code samples of how they are drawing a price chart. The rendering/visuals aren't as important as: a) what data are you pulling from IQFeed and b) what portion of this data is going into the graph itself?

Thanks a lot for discussion around any of these questions..
Edited by shortorlong on Jan 31, 2008 at 01:44 AM

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 08:41 AM          Msg. 2 of 2
Most people are looking at interval charts - (x)Minute. You need to decide what interval you want, then request that from the IQ servers. You don't want to request tick data and build your own minute bars due to the time it will take to retrieve the data. Minute data is much faster assuming that is the interval you want. Most web based charts allow you to choose the interval. The higher the inverval, the less "choppy" the chart will be. I would suggest starting with 1 minute data, then increasing to 5, 10,30,60 and see which fits your trading style and indicators.

Flat trading in a stock is common for any of several reasons, so there really is no way to explain it in general terms. You will often see flatlines on stocks before major announcements as the market prepares to trade the release. Spikes in the data is what we receive from the exchange. It is valid in the sense that the exchange sent the data. Some traders prefer to see this noise, while others build their own algorithms to filter the spikes (by taking a average over the last (x)bars to determine if something is out of range).

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

Time: Sun April 28, 2024 9:30 PM CFBB v1.2.0 8 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003