Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"I've been using Neoticker RT with IQFeed for two months, and I'm very happy with both of the products (I've had IQFeed for two years with very few complaints). The service from both companies is exceptional." - Comment from Public Forum
"I had always used ******* but for the past 2 weeks have been trying DTN IQFeed. Customer support has been extraordinary. They call just to make sure your problem hasn't recurred." - Comment from Public Forum
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"I am keeping IQFeed, much better reliabilty than *******. I may refer a few other people in the office to switch as well." - Comment from Don
"I would just like to say that IQFeed version 4 is running very well and I am very happy with its performance. I would also like to extend a big thanks for the fast and efficient help that I always receive. My questions and concerns are always addressed promptly. Way to go!" - Comment from Josh in CO.
"I am very happy I changed. I love the product, but more so I am thrilled with Tech Support. You are knowledgeable, polite, pleasant and professional." - Comment from Pat
"I used to have *******, but they are way more money for the same thing. I have had no probs with data from DTN since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I will tell others who want to go into trading that DTN ProphetX is an invaluable tool, I don't think anyone can trade without it..." - Comment from Luther
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Pre-market trading questions
Author Topic: Pre-market trading questions (17 messages, Page 1 of 1)

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 06:53 AM          Msg. 1 of 17
First Question: I know that IQFeed is not to be used to "round robin" our 500 symbols to act as a stock screener. My application only needs 500s ymbols, but in pre-market hours, I wish to cycle through about 2000 symbols to get their ETLast fields before the market opens. Is this considered legitimate if I do this one time during pre-market hours and then use a subset of these 2000 as my 500 symbols throughout the rest of the day?

Second Question: If I send a request to watch a symbol, say at 9:25am EST, and I parse the summary message received as a result of this watch request, if any pre-market trades occurred up to that point, should I expect to get an ETLast value in this summary message that is different than yesterday's closing price and reflects the last pre-market trade? If not, must I wait for a trade update message instead?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 04:18 PM          Msg. 2 of 17
We don't allow cycling through symbols, and I think this is going to be a problem with the fact that we don't store the premarket dates in the quote server (we do store them now on the history tick data on the new server system). However, as long as we don't see any adverse affects, and you are only during it outside of regular market hours, I don't think we will call you on it :)

I do beleive the pre market price is only going to update when the first trade comes through since you watched the symbol. You might be better off asking for tick history for the past couple ticks on the symbols (again, on the new servers, you should see the pre market trades in tick history).

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 04:32 PM          Msg. 3 of 17
If the pre-market data is contained in the History Tick data, then that sounds like the best approach because I'd rather not cycle watch and unwatch anyway. Because I only want the latest prices just before the market opens to see if any pre-market movement exists, I think just checking the most recent History Tick for each symbol I am interested in might just do the trick. I'll give this a try...thanks!

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 04:47 PM          Msg. 4 of 17
Based on what you have indicated in your response, if I wanted to get an idea of price movement after the post-market trading ends at 6:30pm EST, then I guess that I could also use the History Ticks after 6:30pm EST to get the last extended trading price for the day. Is this a correct assumption?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 04:48 PM          Msg. 5 of 17
That is correct.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 14, 2007 08:21 AM          Msg. 6 of 17
I tried to use the History Tick requests to get pre-market data this morning and for some symbols that I know traded before market open, I still get yesterday's closing tick as the most recent.

IQConnect shows me as connected to the server at 66.112.156.113 address. Is this the "new server" you referred to in a previous reply that is supposed to have pre-market data in History Ticks?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 14, 2007 08:31 AM          Msg. 7 of 17
Yes. The x.x.156.x server farm is running the older server code which doesn't have pre-post market data in history. We are planning to release the new code to that server farm this weekend, so it will be available to all servers on Monday.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 14, 2007 08:51 AM          Msg. 8 of 17
Thanks Jay. You've probably already answered this elsewhere, but what server farm should I be using for the "latest and greatest" IQFeed and how would I specify which server farm to connect to?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 14, 2007 01:01 PM          Msg. 9 of 17
it looks like we are going to hold off the release of the new servers for another week for some last test on weekend processes. In the mean time, you can hard code your machine to connect to the new server code by doing this:

Add this line to your host file on your PC, it will make sure you login to the server farm with the new code

66.112.148.210 login.interquote.com

If you need help with this process, don't hestitate to contact customer support and they can walk you through it.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 14, 2007 03:49 PM          Msg. 10 of 17
Thanks again Jay. That worked just fine to access the new servers. If I did a history request for the past 8 months with the new servers, how far back would I get pre-market quotes in the returned data? Did IQFeed always store pre-market data to a database and now we have access to it historically with new servers or has pre-market data been stored only since new servers were operational? I assume it's always been stored...just not accessible until now.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 14, 2007 04:19 PM          Msg. 11 of 17
Unfortunately, it has only been stored since the latest release of the servers. Thus, pre-market data will only be in intraday historical data for the past couple months.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 14, 2007 04:47 PM          Msg. 12 of 17
OK. Too bad! Could you please give me the first day that extended trade data is on the servers so that I can go and get thisdata for as many days as possible without retrieving too much data?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 07:54 AM          Msg. 13 of 17
It looks like July 23rd.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 17, 2007 08:32 AM          Msg. 14 of 17
Thanks. Instead of using the HX command to get the last few ticks, could I use the HT command at say 7:15 am to get all pre-market quotes for the current day?

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Sep 17, 2007 08:38 AM          Msg. 15 of 17
Yes, issuing a HT command for 1 day of ticks will always return all trades since midnight (EST) on the current day.

gwalschl
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 08:53 AM          Msg. 16 of 17
Just curious, on this same topic of using history ticks for pre-market data...will the new IQConnect that is to be much faster, will these history tick requests send response text much faster too? This process works well for me, but to get this data on 1800 symbols or so before market opens is just too slow at this time. Will the new IQConnect show improvements in this area? Thanks!

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 09:22 AM          Msg. 17 of 17
History should show some minor improvements but the bulk of the code changes have been for Level 1 streaming quotes.

Time: Sun May 5, 2024 5:16 AM CFBB v1.2.0 14 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003